Sweet & Savory Cornbread
Jan 25, 2022
If not done right, cornbread can get awfully dry. But no worries here! This recipe includes Westby Creamery sour cream to help keep it tasting fresher longer. The savory flavor from the bacon paired with the sweetness from the corn and honey makes for a tasty and comforting side dish you are sure to love. Serve alongside a nice, warm bowl of chili for a perfect homemade duo.
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal, ground fine-medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Westby Creamery sour cream (conventional or organic)
- 1, 14.75 oz can creamed corn
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Westby Creamery butter, melted
For the black pepper honey glaze:
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. (This recipe works on a pellet grill as well.)
- Cook the diced bacon in 12” cast iron skillet until crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon grease for later. Discard the rest and rinse the skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, creamed corn and honey. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add melted butter and mix until incorporated. Then fold in cooked bacon.
- Grease the cast iron skillet with the reserved bacon grease. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and smooth out.
- Bake until center is set and cornbread comes away from the sides of the skillet. (About 45 minutes.)
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. While waiting to devour, prepare black pepper honey glaze by mixing 3 tbsp honey with 1 tbsp black pepper. Then slice, serve and enjoy!
We want to know if you try it! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @westbycoopcreamery or Facebook @WestbyCreameryFanPage to let us know what you think.